Gary Roberts has been a leader in the state and local nursery and landscape industry since 1979, when he began by co-owning, operating and developing Haupt-Roberts Nursery, Inc. In 1998, he sold his interests in that company and began Gary Roberts Nursery and Landscaping, Inc. at, 4200 Johnston Road in north Ft Pierce where the company currently operates.
HOW GRNL STANDS ABOVE THE COMPETITION:
- We’re locally and family owned with almost 30 years of serving the Treasure Coast. And in 2007 Gary Roberts was awarded the highest award the Florida Nursery Growers and Landscape Association (FNGLA) bestows… the Wendall Butler Award for lifetime achievement.
- Our diversified Services Include: Complete Landscape Design and Installation, Landscape Renovation, Lawn Maintenance, Brick Paver and Retaining Wall Installation, Trellis and Tiki Hut Construction, Irrigation, Sod, and Landscape Lighting. We also have a statewide recognized 36 acre Wholesale Nursery..
- We have been voted BEST LANDSCAPER on the Treasure Coast in the News Tribune Reader’s Choice Awards two years running.
- You may be familiar with some of our projects that have won awards:
- Captain Hiram’s in Sebastian
- Riverside Theatre and Art Museum in Vero Beach
- And numerous Ft Pierce Mayors Gold Hammer Awards, most recently Wadawash
- Other Awards we’ve received include:
We have a very high employee retention rate, with some employees having been with us for over 20 years. This allows us to have very highly trained personnel. Our foreman are certified in Landscape Installation (FCLT) and Brick Paver and Wall installation (ICPI). Our nursery personnel are certified Horticultural Professionals (FCHP) and we are a certified Landscape Design company (FCLD) as well. In addition all personnel are required to pass several in house training DVD programs and routine performance evaluations.
In addition, we are a DRUG FREE WORKPLACE and are proud of our commitment to safety through DVD safety programs and tests, as well as weekly safety meetings by all field employees
To service your landscape needs we have:
- In 2007 Gary Roberts was awarded the highest award the Florida Nursery Growers and Landscape Association (FNGLA) bestows… the Wendall Butler Award for lifetime achievement.
- Two time - Outstanding Small Business Award by the Chamber of Commerce.
- St Lucie County Environmentalist of the Year Award, by the St Lucie County Soil and Water Conservation Alliance.
We are leaders in our industry:
- Over 22 full-time uniformed and trained employees.
- Three fully equipped late model landscape trucks and loaders.
- Two lawn maintenance crews and trucks with new reliable Gravely and Stihl equipment
We are leaders in the Community:
- FNGLA Involvement:
- Our staff teaches numerous Seminars at Statewide Tradeshows
- Involvement on State Committees: most recently Landscape Contractor Committee, which directs research, oversees the FNGLA certification programs, and develops new policies and procedures for the landscape industry.
- Our staff continues to be asked to serve on several statewide Task Forces that help set policies and cutting edge practices in the industry, the most recently being the Operations Task Force.
- Bud Roberts currently serves on the Treasure Coast Chapter of the FNGLA Board of Directors.
- Gary Roberts held the highest position in the industry in 1997 when he was President of the FNGLA.
- We are members and or certified and trained in the follow Associations:
- FNGLA – the Florida Nursery and Landscape Association
- PLANET – the National Landscape Association
- FGBC - Florida Green Building Coalition
- ICPI - Interlocking Brick Paver Institute
- Local Chamber of Commerce
- SLC - Sustainable Landscape Coalition
We are cutting edge:
- Gary Roberts currently serves on the:
- St Lucie Village Alderman Board
- St Lucie County Education Foundation Board
- Treasure Coast Workforce Development Board
- St Lucie County/U of F Agriculture Advisory Board
- IFAS Uof F Horticulture Advisory Committee
- Sunrise Theatre Advisory Board
- Several Committees appointed by the County Commission
- In 1998 Gary Roberts reached the highest office in the Chamber of Commerce, as it’s President.
- Bud Roberts is active in the local Young Professional Organization and the Indian River Chamber of Commerce.
All these items are reflected in our MISSION STATEMENT:
- We are sought out to instruct and speak on the latest trends, like Xeriscape and Going Green Landscape Design and Installation, as well as Staycation Landscaping.
- We lead the industry in integrating Going Green into our business with practice such as:
- Using recycled pots, mulches, stakes and soils.
- Use of time release fertilizers and site specific plants.
- Use energy efficient landscape design practices, like:
- Mass planting
- Shading direct light, southern exposures and A/C handlers
- Easy to maintain bed lines… etc.
- Use of environmentally friend growing practices in our nursery, like:
- Integrated Pest Management (minor use of pesticides)
- Water reclamation with minimal runoff and low volume irrigation.
- Growing more natives and drought resistant varieties.
- Using environmentally friendly fertilizers containing no phosphorus
None of this means anything if we are not competitive. We can actually afford to be very competitive, especially with:
- “To be the standard by which all other design/build, landscape installation and maintenance companies are measured by in our market, by satisfying each client with exceptional quality and service and by practicing stewardship of the environment and our community”
- Our own nursery
- Our buying power
- Our years of grower contacts statewide.
- Our strategic alliances with irrigation and sod sub-contractors who have worked with us for years and provide us volume discount pricing, so you get the best price and best product.
- We have each sub be held to our high standards of preformance by signing our sub contractor agreement and fill out our sub-contrcator questionaire, both of which helps hold them accountable to our standards of installation and eliminates pointing of fingers and blame. All the responsibility is ours.
- And you still get the best product and service in the industry.
I hope this has helped you make up your mind. We are anxious to serve you.
The STARS Safe Company Program (Safety Training Achieves Remarkable Success) is a free safety initiative designed for companies to set the precedent for safety throughout the industry. The STARS program helps green industry service provider companies lower their total costs of risk by reducing hazards and injuries. With this initiative, PLANET works to connect all green industry companies in an effort to lessen the risks associated with the green industry.
Current STARS Participants
Participants of the program are asked to sign a Safe Company Pledge that commits their company to:
- Follow the guidelines in the Safety Program for Green Industry Companies (CD) for developing a safe company,
- Establish an active safety committee within their company,
- Conduct regular safety-awareness training,
- Document, measure, and investigate every accident,
- Meet OSHA posting and regulatory requirements,
- Enter the annual PLANET/CNA Safety Recognition Awards Program,
- Share their best safety practices with their fellow STARS members, and,
- Encourage others to become STARS members.
to view and print the STARS program information and the pledge form.